Friday, September 5, 2008

Life Words

In most instances where I sign my name, I also include two scripture references. The first of which is Philippians 1:20-21. I often write them carelessly, almost haphazardly, jotting them down as a casual addendum to the mark of my identity. This week, however, I find these verses will not leave me. They are constantly in the back of my mind, inviting me to step beyond the temporal and engage life as it was meant to be lived.

Philippians 1:21
"For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

This maybe the most powerful statement of personal faith that I could make. It's a simple equation: "Life=Christ, Death=gain". What would it look like, however, if that truly became our ethos, the core of our approach to life. What if we realized that Christianity is not a religious belief system, not church service attendance, but rather a revolutionary way of living - be that as a pastor of a church or a warehouse worker, a full time youth worker or a stay at home Mom. Are we brave enought to make that statement in our current situation? Do we have the chutzpah to take a side in the cosmic battle between darkness and light? Are we willing to fight that battle in our own hearts, homes, and in the familiar grounds of our oh-so-safe and familiar spaces?

The greek literally puts it this way "Living (the act) Christ death (act of) gain (advantage)"
"Living Christ dying advantage." Are you willing to put those for words at the core of your being? To step into a life that declares the totality of existence is for the purpose of knowing and emulating Christ, and that the length and security of our earthly life is insignificant compared to the advantage that we gain by being with Him?

This is what Jesus calls us to when he calls us to be His disciples. This is the answer to the unequivocal "Follow Me" of the gospels. This is truly who we were meant to be. In this verse lies the answer to all our questions about purpose, and the fulfillment of the longings we can never quite stifle.
Life. Christ. Death. Gain.
May it be true in me, may it be true in you.
The suburban vagabond
Phil. 1:20-21, 3:7-10

No comments: